CARLOS M. VIOLA
23 August 1954
Chairman of the Board, Aeroterra S.A.
President & CEO, Harris & Johanssen Publishers, Inc.
Author, BLACK LION
1959-1961, Colegio San Gabriel, (Buenos Aires, Argentina)
1962-1963, Cragmont School, (Berkeley, CA)
1964-1971, Belgrano Day School, (Buenos Aires, Argentina)
1972-1973, Argentine Military Academy (El Palomar, Buenos Aires)
1974-1982, University of Buenos Aires, Agricultural Engineer
1982, Stanford University, California, USA, Digital Image Processing
1982, University of California, Berkeley, California, USA, Forestry Photointerpretation.
1984, Certified Photogrammetry, American Society of Photogrammetry, Virginia, USA
2000, Certified Photogrammetrist, American Society of Photogrammetry (Re-certification), Virginia, USA, ERDAS, ESRI , GIS related courses
1975-1993, Professor, Urban Photointerpretation, School of Architecture, University of Buenos Aires.
1986-1990, GIS Advisor, Argentine National Congress.
1987-1991, Associate Director, Center for Applied Research on Remote Sensing, University of Buenos Aires.
1989-1990, Professor, Remote Sensing, School of Architecture, University of Buenos Aires.
During his 40 years at Aeroterra, Mr. Viola has had many job functions and has participated actively in almost all of the projects completed by the company including: Cadastral-GIS Projects, Petroleum Consulting GIS Projects, Crop Monitoring and Yield Prediction with Remote Sensing, Pipeline Monitoring Projects, Nationwide Forest Inventories, Land Use Mapping Projects and others.
- AEROTERRA S.A., 1973-1976,
- -Theoretical-practical course-on satellite image interpretation.
- -Basic Principles of Photointerpretation.
- Photointerpretation and remote sensing applied to evaluation and development of natural resources.
- LANDSAT System.
- SKYLAB Program.
- Photointerpretation of Urban Applications.
- Photointerpretation of Agricultural Applications.
- Actual and future Spatial Programs.
- UNIVERSITY OF BUENOS AIRES, (School of Architecture and Urbanism), 1975, – “Photointerpretation in urban and regional planning”.
- FORMOSA TECHNICAL TRAINING SCHOOL – FEDERAL INVESTMENT COUNCIL -SCINTREX LIMITED, 1978, – “First Regional Course of Geophysics applied to the prospecting of underground waters”.
- CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY (London, England), 1971, “GCE School Certificate in English”, 1973, – “Lower Certificate in English”.
- ALLIANCE FRANCAISE (Paris, France), 1972, “Diplome Fondamentale, 1ère. Degrée”, 1974, – “Diplome Fondamentale, 2ème. Degrée”.
- SCINTREX LIMITED (Toronto, Canada), 1978, “GeophysicaL Instrumentation”.
- EARTH SATELLITE CORPORATION (Washington, D.C., USA), 1981, “Satellite Image Processing”.
- UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA (Berkeley, California, USA), 1982.
- -Forest Laboratory of Remote Sensing (Prof. R. COLWELL).
- -Laboratory of Space Sciences (Prof. R. COLWELL).
- STANFORD UNIVERSITY (Stanford, California, USA), 1982.
- -Remote Sensors Laboratory. Ground Science Department. (Prof. RON LYON)
- AMERICAN SOCIETY OF PHOTOGRAMMETRY, (Virginia, USA), 1984,
- -Certified Photogrammetrist
Conducted and Participated actively in:
- Cadastral GIS Projects
Projects developed by AEROTERRA S.A. in the majority of the argentine Provinces that have systemized their cadastre. These projects included photogrammetric flights, ground control, air triangulation, compilation, GIS design and implementation. These projects were completed in: Urban Cadastre of the Municipality of General Sarmiento, Buenos Aires, 1990; Urban Cadastre of the Municipality of Villa Constitución, Santa Fé, 1993; Rural Cadastre of the Province of Misiones, 1995; Urban Cadastre of the Municipality of Merlo, Buenos Aires, 1996; Urban Cadastre of the Municipality of Vicente López, Buenos Aires, 1994-1996; Rural Cadastre of the Province of Chaco, 1996-1997; Urban Cadastre of the Province of San Juan, 1997; Urban and Rural Cadastre of the Province of Entre Ríos, 1998; Urban Cadastre of the Province of San Luis, 1999; Urban Cadastre of the Province of Buenos Aires, 1999; Urban and Rural Cadastre of the Province of Jujuy, 1999-2000.
● GIS Consulting Projects for Oil Exploration
Since 1993, Aeroterra has been providing different GIS Services to Repsol-YPF, one of the largest oil companies of the world. These services include: Implementation of GIS Systems, Acquisition of Information, Production of Maps, Processing and Delivery of Satellite Images including LANDSAT TM, SPOT, RADARSAT and IKONOS. Photogrammetric flights, compilation,, ground control, GPS measurements, DEMs, environmental impact assessments, geological risk analyses, training of personnel and GIS consulting services.
● Crop Monitoring and Harvest Predictions with Remote Sensing
Aeroterra has conducted several programs for the determination of planted agricultural areas y volume of grains harvested by different owners. These programs were performed using remote sensing techniques and ground sampling using rural cadastral data. Based on the analyses of LANDSAT images, the studies were done on large areas over Provinces of Argentina including the estimation of crop yield and crop production. The client was the National Revenue Service of Argentina.
● Natural Gas GIS Consulting Services:
Acquisition, processing and analyses of LANDSAT TM, SPOT and IKONOS satellite data; photogrammetric flights, compilation, GPS surveying of Natural Gas Pipelines; and geological risk analyses of about 6000 Km of pipelines owned by TGS S.A. Several applications were also developed including maintenance of the corporate data base related with SAP and IAP and GIS applications with ArcIMS/ArcSDE (Sybase y Oracle).
● National Inventory of Planted Forests
In 1997 the Secretariat of Agriculture through a World Bank funded Project, contracted with a Consortium formed by Aeroterra S.A., Simons Red Collins (Canada) and Tecsult International (Canada) to perform the first National Inventory of Planted Forest of Argentina using advanced remote sensing and GIS techniques. Principal phases of the project included: Determination of net areas of planted forests, composition of principal species by region, estimation of volumes of stands (by species), production of maps by Province or region at scale 1:100,000; incorporation of data in a GIS, design of a digital data base and training of personnel.
● National Inventory of Natural Forests
In 1998, the same Consortium was contracted by the Secretariat of Natural resources in another World Bank funded project to produce the first inventory of Natural Forests of Argentina in order to be able to establish national policies for the sustainable use of these important resources.
Principal phases of the project included: Interpretation and processing of satellite data, digitizing of forested and de-forested areas, land use analyses, generation of a digital data base, composition of principal species by region, estimation of volumes of stands (by species), production of maps by Province or region, map production and training of personnel.
● Great Buenos Aires, Detailed Land Use and Green Areas Map
Aeroterra developed a detailed map of the Land Use and Green Areas of over 3000 Km2 in the area of the Great Buenos Aires in Argentina. Using ground surveying, aerial orthophotographies y LANDSAT images, Aeroterra produced a detailed map with 10 categories: swamps, airports, cemeteries, closed urban developments, green areas, parks, hippodromes, railroads, squares and sub-urban areas.
PUBLICATION, RESEARCH PAPERS Y CONFERENCES:
- CONFERENCE: “Progress made in using Landsat and Aerial Photography in Argentina for Remote Sensing Data Collection Programs by AEROTERRA S.A.”, March 28, 1979, in: a) UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, BERKELEY (Space Sciences Laboratory), Berkeley, California, USA; b) NASA AMES RESEARCH CENTER (Project Office of Airview Specialist Corporation), Moffet Field, California, USA.
- CONFERENCE: “LANDSAT/SKYLAB: Inventories of Natural Resources in 1.000.000 Km2 of Argentina”, 14 International Symposium on Environmental Remote Sensing, (ERIM), VIOLA, A. y VIOLA BINAGHI, C., 1980, San José, Costa.
- CONFERENCE: “Satellite LANDSAT-SKYLAB Evaluation of Natural Resources of the Argentine Republic at scales 1:125.000 y 1:250.000 in more than 4.000.000 square kilometers”, 14 Congress of the International Photogrammetric Society (ISP), VIOLA, A. y VIOLA BINAGHI, C., 1980, Hamburg.
- CONFERENCE: “Analysis of Multi-date LANDSAT-Geopic for Mapping Vinal”, 16 International Symposium of Environmental Remote Sensing, (ERIM), VIOLA BINAGHI, C., et al, 1982, Buenos Aires.
- CONFERENCE: “Río Pilcomayo-Bañado La Estrella: LANDSAT Temporal Analysis of a Riverine Environment”, 16 International Symposium of Environmental Remote Sensing, (ERIM), VIOLA, A., BROONER, W., GAROFALO, D. and VIOLA BINAGHI, C., 1982, Buenos Aires.
- CONFERENCE: “LANDSAT Monitoring of Temporal Hydrological variations on the Pilcomayo River, 197/81”, 17 International Symposium of Environmental Remote Sensing , (ERIM), BROONER, W. and VIOLA BINAGHI, C., 1983, Ann Arbor, Michigan.
- CONFERENCE: “LANDSAT Monitoring of Temporal Hydrological variations and Actual Land Use on la Laguna Yema Area (Formosa Province, Argentina)”, 15° International Congress of The International Photogrammetric Society, (ISP), VIOLA BINAGHI, C., et al., 1984, Río de Janeiro, Brazil.
- CONFERENCE: “Digital Satellite Thematic Mapping at Scale 1:100,000 of Laguna Yema in Formosa Province “, V National Congress on Photogrammetry, VIOLA, B., VIOLA BINAGHI, y VIOLA, E.G., 1985, Santa Fe, Province of Santa Fe, Argentina.
- CONFERENCE: “Conventional and Satellite Remote Sensing and its Contribution to the Development, Evaluation and Cataloguing of Natural Resources”, Rural Society of Santa Fe, August 28, 1985, Rosario, Province of Santa Fe.
- PUBLICATION: “Crop Prediction through Satellite Data”, Magazine of the Rural Society of Rosario, November of 1985, Buenos Aires.
- PUBLICATION: “Space Vision of the Malvinas Islands”, Destino Histórico Magazine, August.
- PUBLICATION: “CROPCAST System for Crop Estimation”, LA PRENSA Newspaper, October 26, 1986, Buenos Aires.
- CONFERENCE: “Remote Sensors”, First National Satellite Symposium, November 9, 1988, Buenos Aires.
- CONFERENCE: “Geographic Information Systems: Revolutionary Tool for a Better Environment”, II Latin-American Congress of Metropolitan Areas, 21-27 November of 1988, VIOLA, E.G. y VIOLA BINAGHI, C., Buenos Aires.
- CONFERENCE: “Natural resources Satellites and their Applications”, I International Satellite Convention y Exhibition, Buenos Aires Sheraton Hotel, 7-10 November of 1989, Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- CONFERENCE “Thematic Mapping”, IV Latin-American Symposium of Remote Sensing Specialists, (SELPER), 20-24 November of 1989, Bariloche, Río Negro.
- LECTURER (Specially Invited by The United Nations): “Use of Remote Sensing and GIS in Programs of Environmental Conservation”, ECO92-GLOBAL FORUM, June of 1992, Río de Janeiro.
- CONFERENCE, “ARC/INFO y ERDAS GIS Systems in la Managing of Information, CONAE, 1994, Buenos Aires,
- TEACHING ASSISTANT, (1975-1985), Photointerpretation, School of Architecture, University of Buenos Aires.
- ASSISTANT PROFESSOR (17-22 October, 1977), “Satellite Remote Sensing in la Evaluation of Natural Resources”, Provincial Training School, Formosa, Province of Formosa.
- ASSITANT PROFESSOR (17-21 November, 1980), “Satellite Remote Sensing in the Evaluation of Natural Resources”, Río Dulce Corporation-Aeroterra S.A., Province of Santiago del Estero, Argentina.
- TEACHING ASSISTANT, (1980-1983); Remote Sensing, School of Architecture, University of Buenos Aires.
- ASSITANT PROFESSOR (8-12 June, 1981), “Satellite Remote Sensing in the Evaluation of Natural Resources”, Secretariat of Planning and Development, Province of Buenos Aires.
- ASSITANT PROFESSOR (21-22 of October, 1982), “Satellite Remote Sensing in the Evaluation of Natural Resources”, Council of Geography Professors, Buenos Aires.
- CHIEF TEACHING ASSISTANT, (1985-1993), Photointerpretation, School of Architecture, University of Buenos Aires.
- ASSOCIATE DIERCTOR, (1987-1991), Center for Applied Research on Remote Sensing (CIAPER), School of Architecture, University of Buenos Aires.
- PROFESSOR, (1989-1990), Remote Sensing, School of Architecture, University of Buenos Aires.
Fluent in Spanish (native), English and French